AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY SUPERVISORS, COORDINATORS, AND DIRECTORS OF LANGUAGE PROGRAMS

Advocacy for Language Programs and Departments

• 21 Apr 2010 10:19 AM
    Message # 328962
    This discussion forum is intended for colleagues (whether AAUSC members or not) to post information and updates about threatened language programs, degree programs, or departments. We have found that involving colleagues both within and beyond one's own institution can help the knee-jerk reduction or elimination of programs.
  • 25 Jun 2010 4:41 AM
    Reply # 371202 on 328962
    Bob Peckham
    In a state where 13% residents speak some form of French or French Creole, the second largest public university French program, at Southeastern Louisiana University, is threatened with elimination. Tenured faculty appointments will be terminated and current majors given a year to finish up. Please sign the petition against this very unwise action:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-the-french-department-at-southeastern-

louisiana-university

• 25 Jun 2010 4:49 AM
    Reply # 371204 on 328962
    Bob Peckham
    According to my count, and I am sure I have missed something,  college foreign language programs in  no less than 24 institutions have recently (past 2.5 yrs) been  threatened or eliminated  in Nevada, Maine, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Virginia, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, Arizona, North Carolina, Illinois. Florida and South Carolina.

Sometimes discontinuance committees are formed and action is taken in the Summer, when faculty advocates are with study abroad programs or on research trips.
  • 24 Mar 2011 8:23 AM
    Reply # 552502 on 328962
    Bárbara Ávila-Shah
    One of the college administrators at my institution (University at Buffalo, SUNY) has asked us to provide him with articles that have been recently published on the cost of humanities (English and language courses) and how they either drain the budgets (reasoning used by some schools to cut down on language programs) or subsidize the sciences (reasoning used by others to counter the claim that humanities are not worth keeping).    He is actually a supporter of the humanities but as a mathematician, he wants to learn more about the bottom line cost issues that have been raised at other colleges.   We need his support to make sure that we do not suffer the fate of some of our sister programs as we face a new upper administration at our school.

I have some articles that appeared in Academe, AAUP and Inside Higher Ed but we are looking for some where there is a discussion on the economics.   If you know of some, could you be so kind as to share?

Thanks,
    Bárbara

© 2019 AAUSC

AAUSC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.